Frequently Asked Questions About Our Business
How long will my foundation repairs take?
Will my landscape be damaged?
How does foundation repair affect my plumbing?
Will fixing my foundation close the existing cracks or open new ones?
How long after the repairs should I wait to fix my mortar and drywall cracks?
Will I be able to sell my home after the repairs are done?
How long has Nichols / Grout Tech been in business?
How do you determine what needs to be done?
What are your service areas?
What are your business hours?
How long will the initial inspection take?
Do I need to be present for the initial inspection?
What services do you provide?
Do you have any information on the Alabama statewide construction standards?
Do you have any information on how to spot less than reputable construction companies?
- The average foundation repair job takes 2-3 days. It varies depending on the scope of work, the time frame may be greater.
- Our methods we use at Nichols / Grout Tech ensure that when we install the equipment we cause minimal damage to your landscape. If for any reason we need to remove a plant, we will put in every effort to ensure the plant’s survival.
- Any time a slab foundation settles the plumbing pipes, which are underneath and attached to the foundation, can be damaged. They can also be damaged when you lift a house back towards its original position. Therefore, Nichols / Grout Tech recommends a third party plumbing test before and/or after a job is completed.
- It is possible to do both. The goal of doing any foundation repairs is to return the house to as near its original horizontal position while trying to have the least amount of damage done to the home.
- Brick Cracks – The stair step brick cracks that you typically see on houses where the foundation has failed will generally close up when you lift the slab back into place. There is no guarantee that the cracks will close because each home is different and there are other factors that have more to do with the construction of the home.
- Some small drywall cracks are more common.
- How long you have to wait depends on how much your home has been lifted. After the process, the slab should not move, but your walls need time to adjust to their new position. The general rule or thumb would be to wait 4-6 weeks after the repairs have been completed.
- Yes, all methods used by Nichols / Grout Tech are HUD, FHA & VA approved. When you are ready to sell your home you will need to disclose the foundation repairs and show the engineer’s reports and warranty to your buyers. Your Real Estate Professional can assist you with this process.
- Founded in 1981, Nichols / Grout Tech was known as Nichols Concrete Equipment Company, Inc. They earned the reputation of being the premier concrete pumping contractor in the Southeast. Acquiring the assets and personnel of an industry leading foundation repair and specialty grouting company within Alabama in 2008 broadened Nichols’ abilities in the construction market.
- Depending on the complexity of the home foundation problem, our professional inspector will inspect your home’s exterior and interior and take elevation readings of the interior. After the inspection, he will match the structural indications with the elevation readings to create a complete picture of what stresses are being exerted upon your home. Finally, a detailed floor plan and repair proposal is designed and the inspector will explain all aspects of your home foundation situation.
- Nichols / Grout Tech’s foundation repair service area is extensive, spanning 5 states. We have the specialists you need for all of your foundation repair, basement waterproofing, or crawl space repair projects. For a list of the cities we service, please visit our service area page.
- Our hours are 9:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday through Friday, and we are not open on weekends.
- Our professional inspector will spend approximately 1 ½ to 2 hours inspecting your home foundation and visiting with the homeowner.
- Yes, the inspector will need access to the interior of your home to inspect for signs of foundation and concrete slab problems and to take the elevation readings.
- You can find a list of common indicators that you have foundation problem on our Foundation Repair page. The only way to be sure is to have one of our foundation estimators come and conduct an on-site evaluation. If there is a foundation problem we can take care of, then the estimator will provide a repair plan and price quote on the side.
- We are dedicated to finding solutions and doing the job correctly the first time. Our jobs range from small residential jobs to large commercial and industrial work. We have the ability and know how to find the solution that is right for you and complete the project to your expectations. We have a complete list of services on our services page.
- Click here to learn more about the Alabama statewide construction standards put into effect in October of 2012.
- This is something we take very seriously at Nichols / Grout Tech. We want to make sure you are choosing the best contractor for your job. There is a lot to watch out for out there. Click here to read more on how to spot less than reputable companies. Call us for more information!