Why You Have Water in Your Alabama Yard
Swimming can be a fun and enjoyable summertime activity, but not when the “pool” is comprised of water buildup in your backyard. Birmingham and all of Alabama have significantly higher average rainfall than the rest of the United States, so water buildup can be a prolific problem for Birmingham homeowners and something that many homeowners will experience at least one.
A variety of factors and contribute to water buildup in yards, but a few of the most common include:
- Heavy rainfall: When an area of land endures substantial rainfall, the ground becomes heavily saturated and is unable to absorb any more water. Because the water cannot be absorbed further, it collects and pools in the yard.
- Septic System Failure: Septic systems are designed to collect liquid waste from inside the home and redirect it. When these systems fail, waste can back up into your home or backyard, depositing large quantities of standing water.
- Sloping property: Homeowners with low lying properties often experience extended water buildup as water from nearby properties with higher elevation spills down into their yard.
- Gutter Exits: If you notice water collecting near your downspout exits, it is likely because the ground is sloped toward your house as opposed to away from it.
Not only does water buildup in your Alabama yard make it unpleasant to walk on, but it can also cause serious problems for your home and foundation. As we discussed earlier, pooling water means that the soil has been fully saturated and cannot absorb additional moisture. Heavy saturation greatly increases the soil’s hydrostatic pressure, so the soil will begin to push against the floor of your foundation, allowing water to permeate inside. When water infiltrates the home, it often manifests itself in a musty odor, mold and mildew, rotting of wood structures, and even the destruction of the floor and drywall. If left undetected or untreated, you could be facing expensive and time consuming repairs.
Landscape Drainage and Other Exterior Drainage and Waterproofing Solutions for Your Birmingham, Alabama Home
Fortunately, you can nip water problems in the bud and prevent further complications by enlisting the help of Grout Tech, the foundation repair and water management experts in the Birmingham, Alabama area. We can work with you to determine and execute the best course of action in addressing the problem of water buildup in your backyard.
A few of the most common and effective solutions:
- Surface Drainage System: This includes properly placed gutters, grading around the house, and drain pipe systems surrounding the foundation and is used to prevent water from pooling around the foundation.
- Interior Drainage System: This method is used to redirect water that has seeped inside the house to the outside. If you have a basement, we can install a reliable and high quality basin or battery backup sump pump and ensure that it is properly directing water away from your home into a location that will not cause buildup.
- Full Waterproofing: Proper waterproofing necessitates excavation so that all potential issues can be exposed and addressed individually. We begin the process by cleaning the foundation walls and spraying or rolling on a polymer waterproofing product. After this has dried, the coating will be masked with a dimple board product to enable improved downward water flow. We will then install an appropriately sloped drain pipe system to eradicate any future problems with pooling water.
Proper waterproofing is an extensive process that will pay dividends with respect to the elimination of water buildup. If you are experiencing water buildup in your Birmingham, Alabama backyard, do not wait until your foundation becomes affected too. Be proactive and call the Alabama foundation repair and water management experts at Grout Tech today!