High Winds and Wet Weather can affect your Birmingham, Alabama Home
The severe storms that have occurred across the state of Alabama over the past month has had a big effect on many homes and businesses. The constant downpours and high winds can really take a toll on a home’s foundation. All this wet weather can mean big problems for your home. Heavy rains cause a large burden on your downspouts and gutters. Large amounts of water may splash over the sides of gutters and onto the ground directly next to your foundation, making basement flooding more likely. Downspouts can also become overrun with torrents of rain, releasing gallons of water into the soil outside your foundation.
With heavy rains, there is often too much water falling on the ground for the soil to soak it all up. This can lead to standing puddles of water in your yard and around your home’s outside walls. Eventually, that standing water will begin to soak through the soil and into any cracks or gaps your home might have. These cracks and gaps are usually caused by a shifting foundation and can allow unwanted water and pests into your home. The cracks can cause both your basement and your crawlspace to fill with water.
When a basement or crawlspace gets wet, the entire house is affected. Aside from the expected property damage and water stains, many problems stem from a wet basement or crawlspace, such as:
- Weakened floorboards: High moisture content can affect the ceiling above it, weakening floorboards and possibly rotting the wood.
- Mold growth: Mold thrives in dark, damp places like your crawlspace. The longer the water sits, the more likely mold growth is to occur. Mold is a hazardous substance that can cause rashes or breathing problems, especially in those with asthma or allergies. The longer a family is subjected to mold, the more severe the effects can be.
- Worsened cracks: With water constantly eating away at cracks, the cracks will widen and the problem will get even worse.
- Increased humidity throughout the home: The humidity levels in your home can easily change if there is a lot of excess moisture coming into the air through the basement or crawlspace. Increased humidity can make doors and windows stick, and it can make daily life very unpleasant.
Proper precautions must be taken to prevent water damage in your Alabama home or business. This is why Grout Tech offers basement waterproofing in Birmingham Alabama. Don’t let spring showers ruin your day or your home. Trust Grout Tech to waterproof your home.
Solutions for Wet Basements and Crawlspaces in Birmingham, AL
So what are the options for basement waterproofing in Birmingham? Is it even worth the investment? Grout Tech prides itself on quality customer service and fair pricing, so we offer a large variety of basement waterproofing options at a variety of prices, all designed to provide the best repairs for you and your home. You don’t have to wait until your home is flooded by spring showers. Preventative waterproofing options are also available, because you can never be sure when your basement may flood.
Grout Tech utilizes high quality ECP brand products in all basement waterproofing jobs. Our services include
- Sump pump installation: The sump pumps used by Grout Tech have special float systems that tell the sump pump when to turn on and off. This means that you won’t waste electricity as you pump water out of your home. ECP sump pumps can pump up to 5,000 gallons of water per hour out of your home. Sump pumps are great to prevent flooding and come with a battery backup in case power is lost in the home.
- Interior drainage system installation: These systems are buried beneath your slab and are used to control water in the home. Because they are hidden beneath concrete, it is important to have them installed correctly by a professional. Interior drainage systems remove excess water from beneath your foundation so the moisture does not make its way through the home.
- Exterior drainage system installation: These systems pipe water from the home, either to the yard or to an installed sump pit. Exterior drainage systems are helpful when large amounts of water have previously entered your home, or your foundation walls were not correctly waterproofed upon construction.
- Crawlspace encapsulation: Crawlspace encapsulation involves installing a vapor barrier on all the surfaces within your crawlspace. Vapor barriers provide a waterproof seal to prevent water or moisture from entering the area.
- Crack injections: Crack injections, usually made of epoxy or polyurethane, are used to fill the cracks that may be allowing water in the home. This is often used in conjunction with vapor barriers or an exterior drainage system.
If you are in need of basement waterproofing in Birmingham, trust the professionals at Grout Tech to keep your home dry. Contact us today for more information.