What Wall Cracks Mean in Your Alabama Home
There are several different types of wall cracks that may occur in your Alabama home. Each of these wall cracks may indicate a particular type of foundation problem. The first step to fixing the underlying foundation problem is determining what type of wall crack is present in your home. No matter what type of wall cracks you are dealing with, Nichols / Grout Tech can help you come up with a solution that fits your home. Contact us today to see all of our wall crack repair solutions in Alabama.
Some of the most common types of wall cracks that you may find in your home include:
- Vertical: Vertical wall cracks are normally caused by some sort of settlement or by heaving in your home’s foundation. The worst cracks are more than 1/8 inch wide.
- Vertical Wider at Bottom: This kind of crack is typically caused by settlement in the center of your foundation.
- Vertical Wider at Top: These cracks are usually the result of settlement towards the sides of your concrete foundation.
- Horizontal: Cracks that run horizontally in your wall are often caused by bowing and leaning foundation walls due to soil pressure and a shifting or moving foundation.
- Angled: Cracks running at an angle through your wall may be the result of settlement or possibly bowing walls.
- Vertical and Horizontal: These varied types of cracks are caused by settling foundations or bowing foundation walls.
- Stair Step: cracks shaped like stair steps may be the result of foundation heaving or settlement during freeze/thaw cycles.
- Center Converging: Cracks that converge in the center of your wall may be the result of foundation settlement or bowing walls.
These are some of the more common types of wall cracks in your home. Whether these cracks occur in your foundation walls or drywall, we can help you out with some of our foundation repair solutions.
Wall Crack Solutions in Alabama from Nichols / Grout Tech
While smaller wall cracks may be fixed by using an epoxy injection to fill the crack, the larger ones may also require a foundation repair solution. Our team specializes in grout solutions such as epoxy crack injections to fill in and seal wall cracks in your home. We offer our premiere foundation repair and wall crack repair solutions to various areas in Alabama, including the following cities:
The first of these solutions is underpinning with helical pier or steel push piers. If the wall cracks in your home are a result of a settling or heaving foundation, these piers can help reposition the foundation by anchoring into the stable soils deep underground and supporting the weight of the above structure. Because the piers are driven deep into the ground, they are able to support the foundation while lifting it to the proper position.
The next solution helps to correct bowing and leaning foundation walls resulting from a shifting foundation. This solution is the installation of helical tiebacks. These tiebacks are much like helical piers that are installed horizontally. They screw into the ground through the wall laterally like a large screw to pull the foundation wall back into position.
For these and more solutions for wall crack repair in Alabama, contact us today!