Concrete Cracks and Grouting Solutions in Alabama
Concrete is one of the most durable man-made materials in the construction industry, but it also has weaknesses. Over time, concrete surfaces may wear down due to harsh weather, poor construction, soil conditions and common elements. As a result, concrete cracks may appear on the surface including sidewalks, driveways, patios or basement floors. If you notice concrete cracks getting bigger, hire a foundation repair contractor to assess your property. Fluctuating moisture levels and temperatures are just a few reasons why concrete expands and shrinks. Don’t let unsightly concrete cracks lower the value of your home or property, contact Grout Tech for concrete repairs. We are the grouting experts serving businesses and homes in the Birmingham, Alabama area.
There are several factors that lead to concrete cracks, but the most common are:
- Freeze/Thaw Cycle: In the winter, concrete cracks are caused by the freeze/thaw cycle. When the temperature reaches 18 degrees, freezing occurs on the concrete surface. When the temperature warms up, it melts and causes cracking and scaling. It is important to use sand instead of salt to prevent pitting and cracking.
- Extreme Heat: Due to excessive heat from the sun, the concrete may expand or crack. Overnight the concrete will shrink back to its original state.
- Water: Too much water causes expansive soil. Certain soils, such as clay soil, may swell and shrink due to fluctuating moisture levels.
- Poor Soil Compaction: Poorly compacted soil can cause settlement cracks underneath the concrete.
- Poor Workmanship: Improper location of rebar, over watering or over/under consolidated aggregates can contribute to concrete cracks.
- Plumbing Leaks: Broken underground pipes can create leaks. Excess water causes the soil and expand underneath the concrete surface.
- Flooding: Flooding caused by heavy storms, leaks or poor drainage, can create problems for concrete foundations. Due to hydrostatic pressure, cracks may form in the concrete.
On residential and commercial properties, cracking concrete surfaces are potential tripping hazards, create poor drainage, equipment malfunction and decrease the value of your property. The good news is that Grout Tech can repair concrete cracks caused by high moisture and soil-related conditions.
Grouting Solutions in Alabama
Our contractors can repair and stabilize cracks with a specialty grouting method known as polyurethane epoxy injection. These services are designed to level and stabilize the ground on your property to avoid future foundation and concrete issues. Also, epoxy injections will protect the rebar and restore the concrete surface back to its original strength.
Contact Grout Tech today, if you have a cracking concrete surface in the Alabama area. We also offer basement waterproofing and foundation repair services for commercial, industrial and residential projects. We use the latest products on the market by Earth Contact Products. Our service area is not limited to Alabama. We proudly serve the Tennessee, Mississippi, Southwest Georgia and the Florida Panhandle area. Contact us today for an inspection and estimate.